NEW BUILDINGS EMERGE AS HERITAGE LOTTERY PROJECT GATHERS PACE
The month of June has seen great progress being made as the steel skeleton of the new depot reaches roofline and the prefabricated Aquarium Station and Visitor Centre is lowered onto its foundations. The new station buildings travelled on low-loaders from the manufacturer in Newhaven and were lowered into place during the night of 15th/16th June. The lifting operation was slightly delayed earlier in the evening due to gusting winds but as soon as the tide went out the wind dropped and the buildings were lowered exactly into their places!
The photograph shows the new buildings in place early morning on Friday 16th. There are three sections, that in black is the main entrance from Madeira Drive and will house a café, ticket office and museum with a central section forming a timeline towards the railway tracks. This joins on to the zinc-clad south building which will house further museum space, toilets, office and meeting room. Photograph courtesy Maurice Curran.
Meanwhile, all the new depot tracks had been laid in at Banjo Groyne and the steel erectors had began their task of bolting together the frame of the depot. The running line is due to be laid at the end of July and through connections should be made by mid-August, although there will be much to do before the railway re-opens. The new depot will have a Visitor Gallery on the north side in which viewing windows will enable visitors to see the workshop area. There will also be a working model of Volk’s Electric Railway as it was in 1933, showing features of the line that have long since disappeared. Photograph courtesy Maurice Curran.