Over the years there have been several changes to the route and length of the railway.
The original railway of 1883 was a 2ft gauge line extending westwards from the Aquarium to the old Chain Pier. This is shown as a black line on the map. In 1884 the line was regauged to 2ft 8½ins and extended from the Chain Pier to the Banjo Groyne (the extension is shown in green). The railway stayed in this configuration until 1901 when the line was extended beyond the Banjo Groyne to a rocky outcrop at Black Rock (shown in orange). The large dots mark the position of the original stations while the smaller dots show the approximate positions of the cut back line.